2015 BESSIE HEAD SHORT STORY WRITING
WABO invites aspiring writers to participate in this year's Bessie Head writing competitions. Below are the guidelines as stipulated by the competition organisers.
Requirements for Submission
This year, the Bessie Head Heritage Trust is offering a short story competition. No novels, poems, or children's stories will be accepted. All stories must be submitted online email@example.com. Note that this form of submission is new. We will not accept hard copies this year. All submissions must adhere to the following guidelines. Those submissions that do not will be automatically disqualified.
Bessie Head Short Story Awards
- All work must be original and unpublished. All work must be in English and have been thoroughly revised and proofread for grammar and spelling.
- Only one entry per person.
- No school assignments will be accepted.
- All submissions must include a cover page with name (no pen names will be accepted), two reliable ways of contacting you (email, postal address, telephone number, cell number), the title of the story, and an accurate word count. The word limit is 5,000 words.
- The first page of the story must also include the title of the story.
- The rest of the submission must not contain any identifying information. Except for the cover page, all submissions must be anonymous.
- Use a single, clear font, 12 point size. The best font to use is Times New Roman.
- Use clear black text on a white background.
- Left-justify your paragraphs. Right margins should be "ragged".
- Use double spacing for all your text.
- Don't insert extra lines between your paragraphs.
- Indent the first line of each paragraph by about 1/2 inch (1 cm.),
- Put the word "End" at the end of your story , centred on its own line.
- Authors are advised that they may be asked to authenticate their work. Do not destroy any drafts, as you may be required to produce them as proof of originality.
- All submissions must be attached to an email as Word documents (.doc or .docx).
- Email your submission by 15 September 2015 to firstname.lastname@example.org. All submissions will be acknowledged. No late entries will be accepted.
- This competition is open to citizens and residents of Botswana. Winners may be asked to verify their identity and eligibility.