Rules: Sanlam Prize for Youth Literature 2009
1. The competition is presented in six categories: Afrikaans,
English, Nguni languages, Sotho languages, Tshivenda
2. There are two prizes in each category:
Gold prize: R12 000
Silver prize: R 6 000
3. Requirements: A story in which humour plays a role. It
should be suitable for young readers (somewhere
between 12 and 18 years). Length: 25 000 to 45 000
4. Tafelberg undertakes to publish the winning entries and
reserves the first option to publish any of the other
5. While under consideration entries may not be submitted
for publication elsewhere until the publishers have
confirmed in writing that the manuscript has been turned
down for publication.
6. The judges reserve the right to withhold one or more of
the prizes should the quality of the entries not be up to
7. The competition is open only to citizens of South Africa,
Namibia, Botswana, Lesotho and Swaziland.
8. Entries should be typed or printed out on A4 paper,
with double spacing and broad margins, on one side of
the paper only, and clearly numbered. Do not bind. The
organisers cannot accept e-mail entries.
9. As entries are judged anonymously, writers are
requested to ensure that their names appear only on the
title page of the entry and nowhere else.
10. Each entry must be accompanied by a signed entry
form or a copy thereof.
11. Entries may not be submitted under a pseudonym.
12. Entrants are requested to keep copies of their entries.
The organisers cannot accept final responsibility should
an entry go astray.
13. The judges’ decision is final and no correspondence
will be entered into.
14. Closing date: 30 June 2009.
15. Enquiries: Danita van Romburgh, PO Box 879, Cape
telephone: (021) 406-3412
fax: (021) 406-3812
Posted by Lauri Kubuitsile
WABO Vice Chair